Nicole Kennedy Design

Ideation, Creation & Everything In Between

Flip Fluid Waterfall – Particles, Part 6

The next stage in the tutorial so far is rendering out what I have at this stage. The lecturer explained that some of the files rendering out in high resolution can take up a lot of memory and sometimes slow things down so it would be better to use a lower resolution until final rendering stages.

In the image below I had to set the place where I wanted my rendered files to go so in the $HIP/ directory I made a folder called Original Particles this was done by pressing the new folder button at the top right of this window.

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 14.30.21


Once I had created the folder the next stage was to name the particles so I set that to Basewaterfall_$F.bgeo as shown in the image below. Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 14.30.58

When we return to the ROP Output Driver known as rop_geometry1 we can change some of the settings to get the best effect for example the valid frame range was changed from rendering all frames to only rendering the frame range. Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 14.31.16 The next stage that was not instructed in the tutorial is I wanted to figure out how to decrease the resolution like the lecturer had been talking about earlier but I wasn’t sure how so after a little while I discovered the render control button shown in the image above which in turn displays the window in the image below. In the general quality overrides I was able to change the resolution from natural resolution to 1/4 resolution to speed things up and make files a lot more manageable in size. 

 Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 14.32.35


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on January 9, 2014 by in Creative Experimentation, Creative Strategies, Houdini, Special/Visual Effects and tagged .
%d bloggers like this: