Nicole Kennedy Design

Ideation, Creation & Everything In Between

Houdini – Building The UI (Brickify Tool Asset) Continued…

Remaining on the building the UI I am still on the stage of using the operator properties window I have to then control the input names for the switch previously they were 0 and 1 so I have now name the teapot to 0 = Teapot and 1  = Custom object in order to make the UI easier to use.Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 12.33.48 This is a preview on the right hand side of what my UI now looks like with the two options now being Teapot and custom object instead of the basic 0 and 1.Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 13.25.36 In the same method as the switch and pulling in the select input parameter I am able to pull in nodes such as the platonic_object1_xform1 like in the screenshot above I then pulled in the position and size parameters of the platonic_object1_xform1 (The teapot).

The next stage was to pull in a seperator which was in the create parameters panel on the left hand side of the operator type properties window. I then placed the seperator between the switch and the instances of the teapot.Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 13.31.14  I moved on to bringing in the object merge node into the operator properties and renamed it to Custom_Object_Path and proceeded with adding an expression line of code to disable the when not viewing the relevant object in the UI.Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 13.41.37Here are previews of what the tool UI now looks like. Some of the options are now greyed out as inactive as I have disabled them.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In order to have more of the options disabled whenever using the UI I had to add more expressions to the teapot parameters I was able to select more than one parameter at once by using shift click and the code I wrote was applied to both of the parameters.  Pretty much what the code does is when I am on object mode disable the teapot properties and when I am on teapot mode disable the object mode traits.Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 13.44.21Here are final previews of what the user interface now looks like when browsing through the different modes of object and teapot.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The final thing that I had to do for the creation of the UI was to right click on the Brickify node and select match current definition what this does is locks the asset, the saved otl file now controls what goes on within the scene.

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 13.46.41

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on December 13, 2013 by in Creative Experimentation, Creative Strategies, Houdini, Special/Visual Effects and tagged .
%d bloggers like this: